Monday, October 21, 2013

"Love, Steven and Sam"


"Love, Steven and Sam" 8x10 watercolor by Carrie Waller


I'm currently traveling back from Washington DC where Maria Bennett Hock, Lorelei Taylor and I curated the first National Military Spouse Small Works Show.   This show took place during the annual career summit for military spouses.  It was a fabulous show and reception and we're looking forward to it growing each year.

I created a painting that was used for the marketing material that I shared with you last week. In addition I exhibited 3 other works. "Love, Steven and Sam" was created specifically for this show. The theme was "together we serve" and I felt this painting really showed the impact that military life can have on the kids. Military kids are incredible and have to endure so many crazy obstacles growing up in a military family. They survive deployments and constant moves. When you talk to military families you will frequently hear "I went to 3 different high schools". My husband attended 9 different schools up to high school ( he's a military brat). And through all this you will not meet a more open and adaptable group of kids. 

I'll blog more about the show on Wednesday. 

Carrie




9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fantastic show, Carrie! and this is a beautiful post. I can see your children are very resilient and ready for anything...look who they have as a Mom!! I love this painting... Wish I was able to see the show. I love Maria Bennett Hocks work as well.!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful painting and the love is very evident. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Carrie - just gorgeous and such a lovely message. Thank you for sharing. This painting really pulls on the heart strings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the military life and missed it terribly when my girls' dad and I split up. Sounds like your show went well and I love this painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made me tear up Carrie - what a beautiful sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This painting is so perfect for the cause - I can't gush enough about how wonderful it is... My favourite! I just LOVE it!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sacrifice a military family going through (especially during war time like this) is hard to fathom for those who are not. I really admire your courage and love for the country, and wish those who are making strategic decisions would stop and think more about ordinary army families before deciding to start another war, or leaving troops behind for which length of time after the war is over. It is human life and family that are being influenced by each and every single of these decisions... As for military spouse and kids, I have only the greatest admirations! Great job for curating this show -- it is so very needed at the current times!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very tender ...all the best with your initiative + collective exhibition carrie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved meeting you at the Military show and went home to listen to my updated AHA shows. Absolutely love your work! Deena Hunkler Sanks

    ReplyDelete