Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday Feature: Hilda Muxo Klinger

"Charming Tuscan Cafe" original pastel by Hilda Muxo Klinger
Hi Everyone,

This week I'm interviewing a long time blogging buddy, Hilda Muxo Klinger.  Hilda is a wonderful pastel artist with a delightful blog. 

To see more of her work click here.

How did you get your start? What's your artist journey so far?

I've painted on and off for many years but when I joined The Parish Social Ministry Art
Club in 2006 I realized how much I loved to paint. From there, I displayed my paintings in
Rockville Centre Library in Rockville Center, NY. I have had a solo exhibition in RVC Library which was wonderful.

Where were you born?
I was born in the Bronx, NY, then lived in Jamaica, NY until I got married in 1968.


If you could live anywhere where would you live?


I would live right here in East Rockaway, NY. I love to travel throughout the USA but love coming home where I'm just steps away from the beach ...it was a perfect place to to raise my 2 girls. Now, I wouldn't want to leave my grandchildren to live somewhere else.
"Tuscan Hidden Garden" original pastel by Hilda Muxo Klinger

What's your favorite thing to paint and why?

I love to paint portraits...to get the likeness of that person is always so challenging to me. But I enjoy painting still life.. and painting from photographs that I took on my vacations.

Could you talk about your painting techniques?

I work mostly with pastels on Canson paper ...when I paint portraits I add lots of layers of pastels on the face then start blending with pastel pencils or hard pastels.

How did you arrive at your current style?

I studied under Dan Slapo, a master pastelist who has his studio in Garden City, NY and he taught me so much on portraiture. He basically taught me to paint what I see. I never knew what he meant until now.
"Peconic River Herb Garden" original pastel by Hilda Muxo Klinger

Do you have a favorite artist? Who has been your biggest inspiration?

I love Sargent, Vermeer and Rembrandt. But mostly, my blogger friends are my inspiration....Visiting all of them is like going to a museum.. I enjoy them so much!! Everyone has their own style and its so much fun to see what everyone is up to.

What are some of your favorite things or things that are essential to your well being success as an artist?

My family and friends..I take many reference pictures of them in hopes of getting that "perfect" shot  for my next painting.
I love my pastel journal magazines which always teach me something new, and I love to have my work critiqued!.
"Days of Work Over" original pastel by Hilda Muxo Klinger
Do you have go-to paints/colors, what are your favorites?

I mostly use Rembrandt pastels for portraits. For those wonderful highlights...I would use Unisom pastels which are so rich in color!
"Barn Wood Beauty" original pastel by Hilda Muxo Klinger


What are five things you would like to happen in your life in the next five years? (Dream big here)

I have displayed my paintings in Libraries but it would be nice to display in a nice Gallery.
I go to a workshop once a week but teaching would be nice..
Having an article in the Pastel Journal (that's really dreaming!)
Go to a workshop in Yosemite...and learn to paint landscapes.
Just paint, paint, paint....!
"My Sister" original pastel by Hilda Muxo Klinger

What is your advice for other artists who are just getting started in their career?

I never sketch but I think its a good practice for anyone starting their art career and basically
practice and never give up...the more you paint the better you get..
"Beautiful Sunflower" original pastel by Hilda Muxo Klinger

What is the best advice that you have received as an artist?

Just to paint as much as you can...and enjoy every minute of it!

SPEED ROUND
chocolate or vanilla?
Definitely Chocolate
Sunny beach or rustic mountain retreat?
Rustic mountain retreat
Book or Movie?
Movie
Favorite author ?
Sydney Sheldon
Favorite movie?
Titanic
Romance or comedy?
Romance, of course...
favorite ice cream flavor?
Chocolate
Night owl or morning person?
Morning person
Cake or Cupcakes?
Chocolate Cake!

Thank you Hilda,  See you Monday:)  Have a great weekend!!

Carrie

7 comments:

  1. J'ai passé un excellent moment... J'adore le travail de Hilda, elle est si talentueuse. Je la sens comme une personne spontanée et authentique remplie de sensibilité et de délicatesse. Ses oeuvres respirent cette sincérité et cette pureté.
    Quand on aime le chocolat, on ne peut que déborder de dynamisme...
    Très bel interview... Gros bisous à vous deux.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilda must be one of my favourite blogging friends. She's always there to comment and encourage.

    She is so modest, but fortunately her work speaks for her - really talented.

    Another great interview, Carrie. Thanks for sharing, Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been following Hilda for some time now so it was lovely to read her interview and also see a lot of other work which I hadn't seen before too. She is such a lovely lady and so clever with her pastels :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love Hilda's work and her blog, she's such a bright spot in this blogiverse. :)) So glad you did this interview with her, she is awesome! As are you Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love being introduced to Hilda and am going to check out her blog right now!!! Thanks so much for featuring her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilda's work is very beautiful. After seeing it I want to go back to Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilda's work is very beautiful. After seeing it I want to go back to Italy!

    ReplyDelete